Golfers often do not spend enough time learning about how the golf ball they play can influence their performance. Players that want to learn and want to improve their games fastest can improve performance quickly by choosing the right golf ball. The golf ball is the only piece of equipment that you use every shot yet not much is made about how it can affect your game. Golfers should be matching their swings to their ball of choice and choosing a golf ball that fits into their price range for every round.
Top 10 Best Golf Balls for Beginners
1. TaylorMade Project A Golf Balls
The only golf ball made especially for amateur players, the TaylorMade Project A golf ball helps a player generate more spin when they need it around the greens and less spin for longer drives. Great feel will help beginning golfers develop better swing patterns and gain valuable feedback, especially during wedge shots. Players looking for an introduction to higher performance golf will find a natural bridge with the TaylorMade Project A.
- Dual-distance core: larger and softer 2-layer core
- 322 seamless cast urethane cover
- Low drag aerodynamic design
2. Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls
Callaway’s offering for the beginning and casual golfers, the Supersoft golf ball gives the same luxurious feel as their tour-level Chromesoft in a player and price friendly package. Ultra-low compression can help slower swing speed players and junior golfer find more distance and improved ball speeds as they develop their game. Improved aerodynamics help make the Supersoft golf ball one of Callaway’s top performers.
- Long, straight distance ball that’s incredibly soft
- Ultra low compression core promotes fast ball speed and increased accuracy
- New Low Drag HEX Aerodynamics are optimized to reduce drag and enhance lift for longer carry and longer distance
- A new softer Trigonometry cover formulation has a low compression for enhanced feel and increased greenside control
3. Titleist DT Trusoft Golf Balls
The Titleist DT Trusoft packs the long history of the DT Solo into a new and improved package. The DT Trusoft offers players improved distance, spin control, and feel in a golf ball. Beginning golfers and weekend players will love the quality of the DT Trusoft and not feel bad if they lose tee shots. The DT Trusoft gives players less spin from the tee box and shorter shots into greens.
- The softest compression Titleist
- New longer distance through low long game spin
- New improved short game performance for stopping power
4. Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls
The Titleist Pro V1 is the gold standard for golf ball models. Although often thought to be only for elite players, the Pro V1 gives performance benefits to players of all abilities. Once you find yourself comfortable that you won’t be losing golf ball frequently, it can be best for your game to move quickly into these tour-level golf balls. The best performance will come from these premium offerings as soon as you can justify the price.
- Extraordinary distance with consistent flight
- Very low long game spin and penetrating trajectory
- Drop-and-Stop short game control
5. Callaway Chromesoft Golf Balls
Callaway’s tour-level golf ball is designed to be player-friendly and a pleasure to hit. The softest premium golf ball on the market, the Chromesoft is exceptional tee to green. Graphene helps make the Chromesoft one of the longest golf balls in play while retaining its signature soft feel. Beginning players that are loyal to the Callaway brand will love the performance they receive with the Chromesoft and any player will keep coming back once they experience how great this golf ball feels.
- Fast Ball Speeds & Low Spin Off The Driver
- Distance & Control Through The Bag
- Pinpoint Greenside Control
- Ultra Soft Feel
6. Bridgestone E6 Golf Balls
The Bridgestone E6 golf ball is one of very few golf balls designed specifically to reduce sidespin and eliminate hooks and slices. By utilizing a dimple in dimple pattern, Bridgestone helps reduce drag force and keep the golf ball in play more often. If you are finding yourself to be in trouble from the tee box so often that it is making playing golf difficult, the E6 could offer you some relief. Cutting strokes by reducing dropped shots can be the quickest way to lower scores.
- Engineered for Consistency
- Improved Aerodynamics for Added Distance
- Soft Feel, Long Distance
- Soft Golf Ball that also Provides Long Distance
7. Srixon Z Star Golf Balls
The Z Star is Srixon and Cleveland Golf’s tour-level offering. Beginning golfers and elite players can benefit the most from playing the best golf balls on the market. Srixon is quickly rivaling traditional golf ball manufacturers such as Titleist and Callaway with their Z Star offering. Players may find that the spin skin and FastLayer give them the ideal balance of soft and long.
- NEW 4th Generation Spin Skin with SeRMA coating with flexible molecular bonds digs deep into wedge and iron grooves, maximizing spin for more control and more stopping power.
- 338 Speed Dimple Patternless drag and more lift boosts overall distance and flies straight, even in the toughest wind conditions.
- 3 piece golf ball with a 90 compression.
8. Vice Pro Golf Balls
The Vice Pro may be the best blend of tour-level performance and a price that beginning golfers can justify for their game. Vice gives products straight to consumers and by eliminating the middle-man they reduce prices without sacrificing performance. Vice offers many golf balls including the Pro that can lead to lower scores and can help players identify their best game without paying the full price of traditional golf balls.
9. Bridgestone Tour BX Golf Balls
The Bridgestone Tour BX golf ball is marketed for feel and accuracy. Gradient core construction helps to eliminate golfer’s sidespin and keep more shots in play off the tee. Better feel is a result of the SlipRes technology and the SCT seamless cover. Bridgestone spends more time researching the golf ball than any other company and it shows in their entire product line. The Tour BX golf ball is a great option for players looking to get help off the tee and shoot lower scores.
- Added distance and forgiveness comes from the Gradational Compression core
- Added feel and control come from the soft SlipRes cover formulation.
- The added spin control comes from increased friction and feel thanks to the proprietary SlipRes urethane cover
- Extra distance and enhanced aerodynamics are a result of the Dual Dimple technology. The added distance comes from a more efficient ball trajectory thanks to less drag when the ball is in flight
10. Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin Golf Balls
Wilson has expanded its Duo line of golf balls to give players more options, especially in their shorter irons and wedges. The Duo Soft Spin helps players to increase spin around the green so they can hit it closer to pins and take advantage of their developing short games. Beginners can often benefit from more spin as it can lead to longer carry distances and more controlled shots. The Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin gives players the best of feel and spin control for the ultimate short game experience.
- Duo soft spin has the lowest compression, best feel of all competitive premium 3-Piece Surlyn golf balls
- Longest distance performance of all competitive premium 3-Piece Surlyn balls
- The lowest driver spin RATE of all competitive premium 3-Piece Surlyn balls for straightest flight off the Tee
Best Golf Balls for new players
What Golf Balls Should You Buy?
Understanding which golf ball is best for your game right now is not as important as understanding the differences in golf ball designs and the benefits that can be gained by playing the same golf ball every single round. Each time you purchase new equipment the goal should be to choose something that is built for you and your swing type. As you continue to develop as a player, don’t be afraid to experiment with different golf ball types and price groups to see how they differ for you on the course. The best way to know what is best for you is to be properly fit by a professional with launch monitor data.
This was a guest post written by Tony and Paul who are a father and son team who are not only best friends but love the game of golf. They created the Golfers Authority, to provide unbiased reviews, guides, tips, and advice in order to help other players improve their game. Tony is also the founder and inventor of the Accuhit, one of the most recognized golf training aids in the world. The Accuhit has been recognized by Golfweek, Golf Tips Magazine, Asian Golf Monthly, and many other publications as one of the most cost-effective golf training aids in the market.